#074 The SDR DiscoCall Show – Montoya and Joshua
May 9, 2023
Join us in a dynamic-duo conversation with SDR and AE in one show, Joshua White and Montoya Wilson from Yapily (at the time of the recording), as they delve into their extensive experiences on how to make a great sales relationship!
In this episode, Joshua and Montoya emphasize the significance of finding a role that aligns with your unique personality and strengths. Learn why patience, listening, and self-reflection are essential qualities for thriving in the sales industry. Explore the diverse roles and paths available, opening up a world of possibilities.
Discover the power of collaboration as our speakers stressed the importance of the close relationship between Sales Development Representatives (SDRs) and Account Executives (AEs). Together, they tackle common goals and drive exceptional results. Uncover the secrets to open communication, transparent commission structures, and a deep understanding of your company's business for unparalleled success.
Intriguingly, Joshua and Montoya address the age-old question of whether AEs should be responsible for prospecting. Gain valuable insights as they discuss the importance of AEs being willing to engage in prospecting, especially when SDRs are overwhelmed or face challenges in identifying the right leads.
Since the recording, Joshua has moved into a BDM role at 10x Banking
- 00:00 - Intro
- 04:20 - Joshua White's non-traditional career path to tech sales
- 10:56 - Montoya Wilson's journey from personal training to SDR undergrowth at Yapily
- 11:38 - From personal trainer to SDR
- 17:10 - Lessons learned in sales
- 21:55 - Considering becoming an AE
- 24:47 - Role of an SDR
- 26:11 - Planning as an SDR
- 31:54 - Handover from an SDR to an AE
- 36:43 - Importance of understanding the sales process
- 41:34 - Advice for sales leaders on building a culture of transparency and communication
- 47:43 - Should AEs do prospecting? The debate and an answer
- 48:48 - Importance of Outbound Sales and Networking
- 50:08 - Advice for Young Salespeople: Keep Going and Don't be Afraid to Fail
- 52:40 - Shoutouts and Conclusion